Making a few key upgrades can go a long way when it comes to selling your home quickly. That’s why it’s important to determine what adds the most value to a house. At RE/MAX, we know what it takes to get results and how to sell your house quickly. Every 30 seconds, a RE/MAX agent helps someone find their perfect place. A good local agent knows what buyers are looking for in your specific area.
The first impression
Even if potential buyers discover your property online, they’ll likely want to drive by your home and see it in person. Our most important tips on how to sell your house begin at the curb, but you only get one chance to make a great first impression.
- Clean up the yard and landscaping. Mow the grass and add fresh mulch and plants
- When prioritising your pre-sale budget, focus on items that add the most street appeal, with a clear and attractive path from curb to door
- Pressure clean the driveway. This is one of the first things buyers see, so make it presentable
- Paint the fence. Painting or stain them a dark colour will make the most of the garden space
- Tidy up the front entryway. A new doormat is an inexpensive and welcoming introduction to your home
Don’t overspend on external renovations. As a general rule, don’t invest more than 5% of your current property’s value on external updates when you are planning to sell. Spending more may not provide a positive return on investment that you would like.
- Don’t choose trendy or off-putting design elements
Instead, consider cool neutral tones and clean lines. Just prior to listing your home for sale is not the time to overspend on renovations. Too many homeowners make this mistake and don’t recoup the costs. Our best tips on how to sell your house revolve around creating a warm and inviting lifestyle.
- Focus on your existing features
Instead of adding in large new features, refurbish existing entertainment areas and ensure they appear well-maintained.
- Don’t add big-ticket items like a pool. The installation cost is high, and a pool sometimes deters buyers
If you’re wondering how to sell your house quickly, consider adding value to your home by focusing on two key areas. One is the bathroom.
- Make updates
A well-done bathroom renovation may be what adds the most value to a house, but only if it’s needed.
- Focus on key features
Consider fresh paint, large mirrors to increase the perception of space and new vanities.
- Don’t go overboard if you’re on a budget!
It’s easy to over-spend on bathroom refurbishments, and the final finish is extremely important. Make a solid plan that stays within budget.
When done well, kitchen renovations are another great way to add value to your home.
- Update your kitchen!
Investing up to 5% of your current property value is likely to result in a positive return on investment.
- Keep refurbishments simple
You don’t need to spend thousands on an entire kitchen renovation. Instead, give an instant, fresh boost with clean lines, neutral paint (whites and greys), and clever use of space.
- Make inexpensive upgrades
You can easily spruce up and modernize cabinets and drawers with new handles.
- Organise cupboards and clear clutter
De-cluttering makes counters and storage space appear larger.
- Don’t incorporate too many trends
Instead, focus on classic, high-quality kitchen elements.
Styling tips for selling your home
Some of our best styling tips for selling your home aren’t the most expensive.
- The main living space needs to look attractive and welcoming
- Put on a fresh coat of paint!
This is one of the most inexpensive and proven ways to add value. Light, neutral colours make a room feel larger.
- De-clutter and remove personal possessions
Remove as many personal possessions as possible to create space.
- Maximise flow and appeal.
Remove extra furniture and potential obstacles that could overwhelm buyers.
- Clean or update flooring
By professionally cleaning carpet, you bring new life to one of the most utilised rooms in your home. You may also consider updating with affordable floating floorboards that are currently very popular with buyers.
- Replace lightbulbs and clean windows
Another styling tip is as easy as replacing old lightbulbs, plus cleaning windows, blinds and drapes.
- Don’t paint rooms too brightly!
Even if bright colours are your taste, they often alienate buyers. Consider neutral colours throughout your house for consistency.
You can continue some of these easy tips for selling your home in the bedrooms.
- Spruce-up the space
Freshen up with new paint, carpet and blinds.
- Remove clutter
This will help create the illusion of more space.
- Don’t spend unnecessarily.
Investing a large amount of money on bedroom updates won’t impact a home’s sale price as much as high-quality finishes in kitchens and baths.
Bring in professionals!
If you’re not confident in your own skills, it’s best to get outside help.
- Consider using professionals for visible work
If done poorly, “improvements” like painting and tiling could detract from your home’s perceived value.
- Think about creating an open plan
If your home isn’t open plan, it’s worth talking to a builder and real estate agent. They can assess how much value changing the layout of your home could provide.
- Don’t go too crazy with structural changes!
These are some of the most expensive updates.
- Don’t invest in wall and ceiling insulation, or unseen air conditioning systems
Hidden features typically don’t provide a good return on investment when it’s time to sell.
Ready to sell?
Even amid current uncertainty in the global market, RE/MAX professionals are on your side. Remember, the right agent can make all the difference. “Good property always attracts attention and property priced, it will sell.”- Morris Short, RE/MAX Xtra
Thinking of selling your house? Contact your local agent for a free property estimate today!